Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Internet

Sometimes when I feel inspired to write something, before I even begin to pen my thoughts down I feel so overwhelmed by the fact that I have not researched much into what I want to put out or even put enough thought into it and therefore what I write will not be perfect. that usually ends up with me not posting anything because of the fear of it not being good enough. But that's so weird because this is my personal space and I get to write whatever I want and because it's just for me, why should I care so much about what whoever reads this thinks of it?? but here's overcoming that barrier and me just writing down whatever the heck I want to

So I accidentally left my Singapore SIM card in the UK ( I prided myself on remembering to bring this small piece of thing back home last year and felt like a champion when I inserted my Singapore SIM card in replace of my UK one in the plane just as it landed in Changi airport but I guess I wasn't as sharp with packing this year). Any who, I am going to get a SIM card with the same number tomorrow morning in Plaza Singapura and a little bit of me is hesitant because I kinda want to be a little less connected to the online world and also seeing that you can get wifi in multiple places, it seems slightly unnecessary. However, there are also multiple benefits to having a SIM card such as the plain simple one of actually being able to make a call to someone and also having a registered phone number to enjoy benefits like signing up for an ActiveSG account so I can use my $100 to sign up for a gym!!! and also use the bike service thing in Singapore which requires phone data. So yes I am going to get it tomorrow.

BUT SIGH SIGH SIGH I kinda love but hate the Internet because as there are countless benefits to what the Internet brings us - to just list my favourites: TED talks, my fav vegan YouTubers, basically the power to learn more about a topic of interest due to the countless articles, interviews and research papers on the internet, to think about it there's no way you're able to write an essay in uni without the Internet (ok fine you can use books but that's kinda limited you know), there are so many disadvantages/bad things that the Internet has brought into this world as well. I feel that we are just too exposed to everything that happens beyond our lives.

We are constantly being exposed to the carefully constructed perfect lives of people on social media and unconsciously or even consciously compare our seemingly miserable lives to them and feel down because we don't seem to be having a ball of a time at life.
We are constantly being exposed to the horrible things that are happening in the world though it is a good thing to be aware about what is happening and to be vigilant, some could take it the wrong way and just start getting too paranoid about everything and start living a restricted and too calculated life.
We are constantly being exposed to the success of thousands of people online who let's say start up small companies at a young age and are successful by age 25 and it's hard not to feel incompetent after that for not having feeling like we've achieved anything at our age.
Particularly for me, being exposed to all the inhumane things that are being done to animals worldwide and especially when people go ' omg thank goodness they sent that bastard to jail for selling dog meat ' WHAT ABOUT THE FRIGGIN HOLOCAUST GOING ON RIGHT NOW FOR ALL THE POOR PIGS AND COWS AND CHICKENS?!?!? (ok calm down Jasmine), and all the environmental problems that are going on that are not backed up by enough environmental efforts to combat it makes me just so overwhelmed and helpless at times.

and there are just too many fucking mean people on the Internet who are honestly heartless and seem to forget that behind a picture/account/voice there is always a human being on the other side who has feelings. LIKE JUST STOP BEING MEAN. WE NEED MORE NICE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD TO SPREAD POSITIVITY AND HARMONY AND UNITY AS HUMAN BEINGS OF THIS PLANET.

ok bye

1 comment: