Sunday, March 6, 2016

Full of Gratitude


For the past few days, weeks even, I just couldn't stop thinking about how blessed I am to be in the position that I am in right now. My parents are the best people in the world who have worked so hard to let their children live such fortunate lives and to pick their choice of university with no restrictions. How lucky am I?? There are so many others out there who don't even get to go to primary school let alone university, or those that don't even have a home or a family? I am really so so lucky and grateful for my parents. 

When asking them about travel plans, I am not even asking permission anymore, I'm just telling them where I want to go with their reply almost always being a yes. 
"Mom, can I go down to London during Easter just for a week?" "Yeah sure!"
"Mom, can I go visit Nadira in Amsterdam for her graduation in May?" " Of course!"
and then mom just casually asks if I want to go to Hong Kong in April? What even is this!! (of course I declined because that's just ridiculous and mom is just being too nice) Traveling is a luxury for others and here I am deciding which city I can want to visit or can fit in given the time period of my holiday. How many are blessed enough to do that?

Sometimes I still can't believe that I'm studying overseas and will be here for another 3 years. And on the other hand, my 2 best friends just met up in LA - It's just crazy how fortunate we all are! Of course I could not help but feel a wave of jealousy as I watched snapchats of them together but at the same time, I was so incredibly happy and excited for them and I don't think I'd be able to handle it if we all manage to meet somewhere in the UK in the future!


I hung out with Anna yesterday and she was telling me the same thing about how we all really have to keep reminding ourselves of how lucky we are to be here right now. She told me that she feels guilty sometimes because she lives such a fortunate life when there are millions out there who don't even have their basic needs fulfilled. But I told her, there is no need to feel guilty and one should not beat themselves up just because we are more lucky than others, we were born into this lifestyle and we just have to remember to give back to society and help others as much as we can, given the privilege that we have.

My mother is my superhero not just because of every amazing thing that she has done for me in my 19 years of existence, but she cares beyond the family and wishes to better the lives of those who are less fortunate as well. She is a strong believer that education is the way out of many of the world's problems and I support her belief 100%. For this, she has opened 2 Montessori schools (it is similar to kindergarten just with a different educational approach - e.g. more hands-on, activity based learning and a mixed age classroom) in Bali, not to serve the overseas expatriates but the locals. It does not even bother her that she may not start profiting from this business for another 3-4 years as she has kept the school fees very low, because the aim of this is not the money, it's the chance for these kids to better their lives by getting an education and to not be restricted in achieving their life aspirations. I am so proud of my mother and I should definitely tell her that more. 


This wave of gratitude has given me a new perspective on life and I will try my absolute best not to take this life I have for granted! For the lovely people reading this, go tell your parents how grateful you are for them and that you love them, it will put a smile of their faces! 

xx Have a great Sunday xx

Love you Mum and Dad <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment